Alterations in your home and being a considerate neighbour
If you carry out works to your home you need to do this in a considerate manner.
Ensure that you and your builders understand the requirements of working in the block.
- keep noise to a minimum and restrict noisy works to sociable hours
generally between 8am- 6pm during Monday – Friday, 8am-1pm on a Saturday. No works to
be conducted on Sundays or Public holidays
- advise your neighbours of the works you are doing and how long they will take
- ensure that you dispose of rubbish correctly and keep communal areas free
from obstruction and clean
- protect lift floors especially with any waste removal, and clean them
- the lift door and ground floor entrance doors must not be blocked open as this will
cause permanent damage which will incur a repair cost
Before carrying out certain works, you need to seek written permission
before you start from Westminster Housing. This applies to tenants and leaseholders.
Examples of what you need to seek permission for include:
- Any structural works
- Anything that might involve asbestos
- Works affecting services such as gas, electricity, drainage or water
- Replacement boilers or central heating
- Changes to the layout of the property
- Kitchen and bathroom replacements
- Flat or internal doors
- Laminate flooring
If you fail to seek permission, you could face legal action and associated costs.
You can find an application form on the website by visiting https://www.westminster.gov.uk/
or you can call us on 0800 358 3783.
If you are aware of any works in the block that are not being carried out considerately,
please contact us on 0800 358 3783. If you experience noise, including that from DIY
during an unsociable hour please call Westminster City Councils 24 hr Noise Team on
(020) 7641 2000.
Top of Page